5/26/2012

SlamFiction: Ron Stone- Part 9

Next Wednesday is going to be the day for a Ron Stone filler. It will be related to the story but, much like I did with the Auerbach Journals, I think I'm going to discuss the character more. Because honestly, I want to give her more back story, without having to put it into the story itself... So be on the lookout for that on Wednesday, instead of the usual story bit. Sorry about that, but it is kinda necessary.

Onward to the story, after the jump...

Living with paranoia is something I am intimately familiar with. My father had been something of a conspiracy nut. When I was in kindergarten, he lined an entire room in our basement with foil, because he claimed it would stop the government from listening to our thoughts. Shortly after that, he was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, and things spiraled out of control after that. After he tried to cut a government implant out of my arm, he was sent to a locked away in some psychiatric hospital.

He didn't last long there. Somehow, he managed to steal a pen, and they found him with the pain lodged deep in his eye socket. The wound on my arm hadn't even healed yet by then. Ever since then, I've tried to shake off all paranoid thoughts. I refused to let myself go down the same road as my father.

With that said, it is really hard not to feel paranoid when a random device, that you receive from a dying man, lights up with your name. For the first time in my life, I wondered if my father might not have been right the whole time.

I rubbed the scar on my arm as I stared at the screen, and jumped when I saw the message on the screen change. “You need to get out, Miss Stone. They'll be coming for you again.”

I shared a brief look with Ashton, and then reached for my purse. He scooped up the device, and together we left his apartment. He didn't even bother to lock the door. The device didn't have to tell me who would be coming, I just hoped I could get away before another guy tried to bash my head in with a baseball bat.

“Um... Miss Stone?” Ashton's voice was remarkably calmer than I would have expected, given the situation.

“Just call me Ron.” I tried to keep the slight quaver of fear out of my voice, and was only marginally successful.

“Miss...er... Ron, I think this thing wants us to move faster.”

I turned to look at him, and saw two things almost simultaneously. First I noticed that the device was now lit up bright and said “RUN!”

Then I noticed the giant barreling down the hall towards us.

No comments:

Post a Comment