6/08/2012

REVIEW: Harley Quinn's Revenge


Frank here to introduce yet another in our ever-growing family of writers. Today, I have the pleasure of introducing Joshua M. As you'll see here shortly, he's a bit of a Batman fan. For his first post, he decided to check out the newest DLC for Arkham City. Beware spoilers lurk beyond  What did he think? Well... I'll turn you over to Josh for that.

Typically I'm not a big fan of DLC. But as you'll, come to realize as I begin to post more things on here, I'm a huge fan of Batman. So it's only normal for me to give in and get all the goodies for Arkham City, and so far I think Rocksteady has delivered the goods fairly well. The Robin and Nightwing packs were pretty awesome and did a good job of showing how different the fighting styles between The Batman Family are. So when I heard about Harley Quinn's Revenge and how it's going to add more story to the campaign, I couldn't help but be intrigued. And all in all, it delivers what it promised.
**Spoiler Alert**
Harley Quinn's Revenge takes place shortly after the end of the main campaign. Assuming you've played and beat it by now (and if you haven't I highly recommend it) you know that Joker died and Harley didn't take it too well. Blaming Batman for her puddin's death, she comes up with a scheme to trap and kill Batman. It's not a particularly good idea, and after two days of a missing Bats, Oracle calls in Robin to investigate. This is where the game begins. I must say it's a breath of fresh air to play as someone other than Batman or Catwoman in a campaign mode. Robin's stealth attacks and general fighting style are a ton of fun to watch, just watch out for his ground finisher. It takes entirely too long to do, and if you do it with more than one enemy still standing, chances are you'll end up taking a punch (Side note: Robin's bo staff is on par in awesomeness with Goku's power pole.)
It switches back to Batman eventually in a flashback to the night he went missing. Overall I thought it was a very satisfying little addition to the story. My only complaints are that it was a little buggy, but they've fixed that by now to my knowledge. Also, to the occasional gamer, it may take a few hours to complete, but for someone like me who still plays Arkham City on an almost daily basis, I breezed through it in less than an hour. Plus it made me want a sequel even more than before. But that's more of a personal problem.
Despite the bugs, and short play time. Harley Quinn's Revenge is a very fun addition to Arkham City's main story. And I hope they add to it again soon (Nightwing anyone?) To the hardcore Batman fans like myself who don't own the GOTY edition. It's worth the $9.99 price tag. To the average gamer, if you don't own the GOTY edition, I really wish I could say it's worth it, but it isn't. It's not nearly long enough for an average gamer to justify paying ten dollars for it, although i'm sure the price will go down soon, so wait until then. From a gamer's perspective I give it a 7.5 out of 10. From a fans perspective (speaking strictly of the story) I give it an 8.5/10.
Here's hoping for a sequel in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment