6/09/2012

SlamFiction: Ron Stone- Part 12

A dozen parts of the Ron Stone story! Still working on part 13, and with all the rush to get into the new office, time is running short for me. But, I like this story, and will continue to update as I can. Still on the lookout for people who would be interested in writing for the blog, so we can keep the content up. If you're interested, leave a comment, and I'll be in touch. But, since I have more work to do today, what do you say I get right into the story?

I woke up in a hospital bed, the pain in my arm seemed to be gone, and my head felt like it was full of helium. The glories of pain-killers gave me a brief smile. The feeling of a mouth full of cotton quickly wiped that smile from my face. I could feel that the stiff fabric of a hospital gown had replaced the clothes I had been wearing, and the fact that my arm was immobile told me that I was in a cast. A quick scan of the room revealed that it was empty, Ashton was nowhere to be found. I couldn't tell if I was in the ER, or if I was in a room. All I knew is I had no insurance, and there was no way in hell I could pay for any of this.

I clumsily pulled aside the blanket they had covering me, and attempted to swing myself off the bed. In normal times, such a maneuver would have been executed flawlessly, but under the influence of some unknown pain medication, it just left me face down on the floor with my arms splayed out at odd angles. A brief pinch in my other arm, and a series of squirts of blood also indicated that I had managed to pull out an IV I hadn't noticed.

“I need some help in here!” A voice seemed to call through a wall of cotton. I looked up to see a red-headed nurse coming over to help me up. Soon several other nurses had crowded into the room, and I was 'helped' back into my bed.

I tried to ask them where Ashton had gone, but all that came out was a garbled mess. The red-head must have misinterpreted what I was saying, because as she was pulling the blanket back over me, she said, “You're in the hospital, sweetie. You've had a nasty fall. Fortunately, your neighbor found you and brought you in, or you may have died on those stairs. You're lucky to be alive.” She pulled something off the bedside table, and injected it into my arm. “Now this should help calm you down a bit. Dr. Yu should be in to see you in a little bit. Promise me you won't try and take another walk, I don't want to have to strap you down.”

I nodded numbly with a lop-sided smile on my face, as whatever she had injected me with took effect. Whatever she injected me with, it worked pretty damn good. Because I just kept smiling, even as I saw the dead giant walk past my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment