4/02/2013

REVIEW: Evil Dead- Groovy Reimagining or Deadite in the water?

Recently, I was given the opportunity to see an advanced screening of the new "Evil Dead", and considering that it was one of my must-see movies of the year, who am I to turn it down. So with a heart full of worry, I stepped up to the plate, and checked out the advanced screening. Was it the groovy masterpiece that I desired, or was it a colossal waste of time? Only one way to find out... read on after the Jump!

It is no mystery that I love my horror films. I love a gory escape from reality, and the bloodier it is, the better. I've been hooked on these things ever since I saw Michael Jackson's Thriller all those years ago... Well, that and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Yeah, I may have lead a bit of a messed up childhood.

One of the movies that I remember with quite a bit of fondness, is the original Evil Dead. A film, that walked the line between schlocky comedy, and gooey horror that captivated my young mind. I mean, what 6 year old boy didn't love watching bloody gore, and tree rape? What? That's not normal for a 6 year old? ... Let's move on.

The thing that worried me the most is that this movie would fail to capture the insanity of the original. That it would take itself entirely too seriously, and would end up as just another bland, characterless entry into the ever-expanding library of "gritty" horror remakes. The Evil Dead was a movie which understood that it wasn't a high-budget masterpiece, and did what it could on the limited budget that it had. Would Evil Dead be able to capture that same blend of humor and horror?

Not in the least.

Evil Dead, departed from the original namesake, by going straight-up horror. Sure, there were moments in there that were chuckle worthy, and a few that warranted an outright guffaw, but it wasn't the humor that one would expect after seeing the original. Instead, it was the type of humor that speaks to the sick minds that flock to a movie like this.

This movie, is horror. Unadulterated horror. Watching it, should send shivers down the spine of even the most psychotic of madmen. There were scenes in there that more than once had various members of the audience cringing, screaming, and turning away in disgust. This is indeed, the type of horror movie that I wish I saw more of, rather than the subpar slasher reimaginings that are so often tossed onto the public's eye. A movie that recognizes that people are in general good people, and seeing this stuff displayed in front of them should disgust, and terrify them at a most basic level.

And oh dear Flying Spaghetti Monster... The blood! This is by far, the bloodiest film I have ever seen. To say that it feels like the movie actually rained blood for an entire 10 minutes, would not be an exaggeration. Well... maybe it was only 8 minutes, I can't say I was actually counting.

At the end of the day, when all is said and done. This movie can only be described in the immortal words of the legend himself, Bruce Campbell...

"Groovy"

Recommendation: This is not for the faint of heart. Nor for those that are easily offended by language. Between the tankers full of blood, and the equally prolific dropping of the word so commonly referred to as "The F-Bomb", this movie is likely to offend the easily offended. If you have a week stomach, or a heart condition, you should consult your doctor before viewing Evil Dead.

Is it Theater-Worthy: Oh hell yeah. I plan on seeing it at least one more time in the theater. It is not often that I get the chance to see a horror movie that well executed on the big screen... so I need to soak it in now, while I have the chance.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed the hell out of this movie, but I recognize that it will not be everyone's cup of tea. If you are looking for a bloody disgusting good time, this movie will deliver. If you seek something that will speak to hard-hitting social issues, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Frank's Final Score: 8 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. ::Squeal!:: Thanks Frank! I am SO excited for this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To quote the great philosopher. "Oh yes, there will be blood."

      Delete